Penyghent – Sunday 12th July 2015 with Queensbury Community Programme Walking Group

207193_1780621068309_1022889896_31609699_1976842_n

On Sunday 12th July 2015, members of the Queensbury Community Programme Walking Group are going for a walk in the Yorkshire Dales. We are joining people who are preparing for their trek in Sri Lanka in November. Their trek is in support of Marie Curie, and this Dales walk is not a fund raising event. The walk will commence at the small hamlet of Helwith Bridge, then up a track to the slopes of Penyghent. Then the climb to the summit of Penyghent for fantastic all round views. Then we have the descent via Hull Pot, a vast hole in the ground. Followed by a walk down the track into Horton in Ribblesdale where there are toilets a café and pubs. After a break we follow the River Ribble using paths at its side, then back to our starting point, where we may visit the Helwith Bridge Inn for a well-earned soft drink or something stronger for the none drivers. We use car share for the journey to keep the cost down. Final details of the start time have yet to be arranged, but it will be somewhere in the region of 8 to 9.00 am. We will arrive back in Queensbury between 5.00 to 6.00 pm. Further details can be obtained from Stuart Walker 078 1520 1650. Why not join us and see what we do? All welcome. 9.5 miles with 530 metres of ascent. All of the climb is in the first 3 miles.preparing for their trek in Sri Lanka in November. Their trek is in support of Marie Curie, and this Dales walk is not a fund raising event. The walk will commence at the small hamlet of Helwith Bridge, then up a track to the slopes of Penyghent. Then the climb to the summit of Penyghent for fantastic all round views. Then we have the descent via Hull Pot, a vast hole in the ground. Followed by a walk down the track into Horton in Ribblesdale where there are toilets a café and pubs. After a break we follow the River Ribble using paths at its side, then back to our starting point, where we may visit the Helwith Bridge Inn for a well-earned soft drink or something stronger for the none drivers. We use car share for the journey to keep the cost down. Final details of the start time have yet to be arranged, but it will be somewhere in the region of 8 to 9.00 am. We will arrive back in Queensbury between 5.00 to 6.00 pm. Further details can be obtained from Stuart Walker 078 1520 1650. Why not join us and see what we do? All welcome. 9.5 miles with 530 metres of ascent. All of the climb is in the first 3 miles.preparing for their trek in Sri Lanka in November. Their trek is in support of Marie Curie, and this Dales walk is not a fund raising event. The walk will commence at the small hamlet of Helwith Bridge, then up a track to the slopes of Penyghent. Then the climb to the summit of Penyghent for fantastic all round views. Then we have the descent via Hull Pot, a vast hole in the ground. Followed by a walk down the track into Horton in Ribblesdale where there are toilets a café and pubs. After a break we follow the River Ribble using paths at its side, then back to our starting point, where we may visit the Helwith Bridge Inn for a well-earned soft drink or something stronger for the none drivers. We use car share for the journey to keep the cost down. Final details of the start time have yet to be arranged, but it will be somewhere in the region of 8 to 9.00 am. We will arrive back in Queensbury between 5.00 to 6.00 pm. Further details can be obtained from Stuart Walker 078 1520 1650. Why not join us and see what we do? All welcome. 9.5 miles with 530 metres of ascent. All of the climb is in the first 3 miles.On Sunday 12th July 2015, members of the Queensbury Community Programme Walking Group are going for a walk in the Yorkshire Dales. We are joining people who are preparing for their trek in Sri Lanka in November. Their trek is in support of Marie Curie, and this Dales walk is not a fund raising event.

The walk will commence at the small hamlet of Helwith Bridge, then up a track to the slopes of Penyghent. Then the climb to the summit of Penyghent for fantastic all round views.

Then we have the descent via Hull Pot, a vast hole in the ground. Followed by a walk down the track into Horton in Ribblesdale where there are toilets a café and pubs.

After a break we follow the River Ribble using paths at its side, then back to our starting point, where we may visit the Helwith Bridge Inn for a well-earned soft drink or something stronger for the none drivers.

We use car share for the journey to keep the cost down.

We will meet near the Ford Hill News Agent at 9.00 am. Using as few cars as possible we will travel to Helwith Bridge. We will arrive back in Queensbury between 5.00 to 6.00 pm.

Further details can be obtained from Stuart Walker 078 1520 1650.

Why not join us and see what we do? All welcome even if you do not have a car. We just need to know numbers in advance so we have enough cars.

The walk is 9.5 miles, with 530 metres of ascent. All of the climb is in the first 3 miles.

 

215965_1780622268339_1022889896_31609702_5913621_n 217663_1780620788302_1022889896_31609698_166164_n 218153_1780622588347_1022889896_31609703_2661345_n

DNA and Dog Poo – Cllr Lynda Cromie

Hi Stuart,

This is a scheme I am hopefully trying to introduce in Queensbury.

Lynda

From: Animagene [mailto:contact@animagene.fr] Sent: 17 April 2015 13:12 Subject: French DNA Lab fights unscooped dog waste

Dear Sir or Madam,

ANIMAGENE, Laboratory dedicated to canine DNA analysis, provides a turn-key solution, HyGene, in order to eradicate the incivilities -unscooped dog waste, in your locality.

Through our experience earned in DNA identification, HyGene will bring you a guaranteed success in your dog waste management and a personalized support to achieve targets.

We invite you to have a look to the presentation attached to discover our innovating solution.

We are still available to organize a meeting in your place to discuss deeply about the project.

Your’s faithfully

Antoine Doutremepuich

Laboratoire ANIMAGENE

42 avenue de la République

33200 BORDEAUX

FRANCE

Tél : +33 5 57 22 07 07

Fax : +33 5 56 02 91 17

Courriel : contact@animagene.com

Web site: http://www.animagene.com

Queensbury Community Programme Walking Groups

10429332_10152854636415854_6815506188203952595_nQueensbury Community Programme hosts two walking groups every week.

The afternoon group meet at Victoria Hall at 1.00 pm every Wednesday. The group will walk up to 4 miles during the session. After the walk we usually call for a drink and a cake. This walk is suitable for the less able but reasonably fit people, who are unable to climb steep hills. We car share and travel to surrounding areas such as Shelf, Northowram, Sowerby Bridge, Denholme, Cullingworth, Haworth, Bingley and Shipley. In 2014 we completed a total of 164 miles over 47 walks.

The evening group meet at The Waggoner’s car park, Ford Hill, Queensbury at 6.30 pm every Wednesday. The group will walk up to 8 miles during the session. These walks are suitable for the more able who can climb steep hills. During the winter period we walk local roads, mainly the side roads and wear reflective jackets. On lighter evenings we travel to surrounding areas as above and we do walk at weekends. We completed total of 338 miles over 54 walks during 2014, these walks have included:

Simon’s Seat

Cracoe and Rylestone Ridge

Penyghent

Pendle Hill

Gargrave

Tour de France

Ingleborough

Grassington

Skipton

Bolton Abbey

Wycoller

Malham

The groups have combined for the following:

Visit to Halifax Minster

Visit to the Copper Dragon Brewery Skipton

Christmas Lunch at The Shears, Paris Gates, Halifax

Christmas Dinner at The Raggalds, Queensbury

I am Stuart Walker the leader of both groups, I have a wealth of walking experience having completed many local walks too numerous to list. A number of long distance trails have been completed including, The West Highland Way, (Twice), Cumbria Way, Cumberland Way, Dales Way, Cleveland Way and of course the Yorkshire Dales Three Peaks several times.

During 2014 I have walked over 600 miles during 125 walks. I carry a first aid kit and am a qualified first aider. Before a walk route is decided I consult several weather forecasts to ensure that full advantage is taken of the terrain, for example in windy weather the walk will be in the lee of a hill.

There is an administration fee of £10 for the year which runs from August to July. The walks are part of Queensbury Community Programme and are overseen by Bradford College.

For more information contact Stuart on 078 1520 1650 or leave a message on one of the contact forms on this site. This will only be seen by myself.

 

 

 

 

 

Queensbury Ward Partnership – Tuesday 9th September 2014

BRADFORD SOUTH AREA CO-ORDINATOR’S OFFICE

Room 401, 4th Floor, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HY

Queensbury Ward Partnership

On Tuesday 9th September 2014 at 7.00pm at

Holy Trinity Church, West End, Queensbury, BD13 2AD

FOLLOW-UP

Statements attributed to individuals in these notes are not to be read as the views or opinions of either Bradford MDC or the Forum, but solely as the views of the person making them

  1. Welcome and IntroductionsMarie opened the meeting, introduced herself, briefly explained her role as Ward Officer and welcomed everyone present. Those present were Marie Copley (Ward Officer); Councillor Paul Cromie; Councillor Lynda Cromie; Kath Clayton; Martin Clayton; Joan Shepherd; Geoff Milner; Joan Milner; David Elcock; Richard Houseago; Janet Simmons-Powell; Sue Dewdney; Sue Kitching; Barbara Crowther; John Crowther; Beryl Robinson; Fraser Tordoff; Sue Shrine; Carol Bower; Amanda Brearcliffe; David Mitchell; Helga Broadbent; Liz Holmes; Chris Dunning; Dave Dodwell; Eithne Dodwell; Hilary Webster; Norah McWilliam; Rita Cromie; Karen Tordoff; Diane Joyce; Catherine Crowther, Mark Wolstenholme; Richard Colton; Pat Sayers; Sheila Thornton; Hazel Pearson; Betty Denton; Roger Hyde; Alan Senior and Matt Bibby (Note Taker).
  2. Apologies
  3. There were apologies from Councillor Michael Walls; Kathryn Halford; Katie Rands; Mr & Mrs Dalby; Sue Dickerson; Sarah Kelly and Oliver Richardson.
  4. Minutes of last meetingPage 2 – Day of action was held, 10 full bags of litter/rubbish were collected in the first 20 minutes.Page 5 – Ward Budget forms were emailed out and the ward budget funding is on agenda.
  5. Page 4 – Marie discussed the stencils.
  6. Matters arisingThere were no matters arising.The minutes were then accepted as being correct. The proposal was from Joan Milner. Joan Shepherd seconded.
  7. At this time, 7.15 Councillor Paul Cromie gave apologies and had to leave the meeting.
  8. Friends of Queensbury CemeteryMarie was approached earlier in the year about the problems in the cemetery by local resident Sue Dewdney who then spoke to the group.There has been an attempted attack on a resident by 2 dogs that were not on leads.Tackling the dog fouling issue is hard because the offence has to be directly witnessed and then that witness has to give evidence in court should the perpetrator deny the offence.    A person from another ‘friends of …….. Cemetery could be invited to a future meeting. Flyers are already sent out reminding residents of dog fouling penalties.There is a problem with litter over the fences. There is a need to involve the schools in the group.Reports of dog fouling issues need to be reported on 01274 43100 or to Marie’s office directly at Bradford South. Reports need to identify the type and description of dog; the time and location of incident, and the detailed description of perpetrator.Residents interested in forming / being in cemetery group to email Marie
  9. Some suggestions were for Harron Homes to provide section 106 money to be used or for Community Pay Back team to help out.
  10. Marie explained the importance of having a group so that the group rather than individuals have a voice in which to tackle the issues. People need to think about whether they want ‘A friends of………’ group like other areas of Bradford District have (There about 15/20 such groups elsewhere). A plan can then be implemented moving forwards. Groups often find it easier to apply for and receive funding. A group can also take a person to court rather than an individual having to do so.
  11. The cemetery is currently cleaned and tidied by local residents. There were concerns about lack of grass cutting. David Elcock responded by saying that grass cutting is done on a rota and the team are due back within the next week.
  12. Both problems have not been helped by the fact that Queensbury has had an unexpected turnover of wardens in recent weeks. There are no longer mobile wardens in Bradford South, the areas having to rely on the city centre team currently.
  13. The problems from a recreational side are due to teenagers drinking and playing in the cemetery.
  14. From research done in the district local residents have become aware that Scholemoor cemetery is a dog free zone because of Muslim graves. However, the general Council policy is that dogs are allowed in cemetery providing they are on a lead at all times. Dog control orders were done some time ago and enough people in the Scholemoor area said ‘no’
  15. Initial concerns were around the dog fouling and antisocial behaviour. The dog fouling issue has been ongoing for a while despite many owners / walkers still obeying the rules of walking their animals on leads and collecting faeces.
  16. Horticultural SocietyDavid Elcock gave a brief insight into local horticultural ideas. He is a member of the Royal Horticultural Society and the National Vegetable Society. He judges shows and villages in the region. The idea of ‘Queensbury in Bloom’ was discussed, improving entrances, shop doorways and generally adding some vibrancy.It was mentioned that flowers in town get chucked away; this is because it is cheaper to dispose of them that way. Residents asked if they can have some of the bulbs for future use, David confirmed they could see the gardeners and get them.Suggestions were to get the local school children involved (Foxhill and Shibden Head already have gardens) and to also drop leaflets around homes in the allotment area for future meetings.
  17. David showed a slideshow of a number of various plants / vegetables to give the group some ideas.
  18.  Ward BudgetsMarie handed out ward budget form updates. 5 applications have been received so far totalling £5800. There is a potential £10,000 for local groups so £4200 is still available. The original deadline given was for applications to be in by end August and then discussed. Those bids in already would be submitted to the November Area Committee for approval, any funding awarded must be spent by March 2015.
  19. Action: Marie to email out the forms again for any other groups to apply for  funding.
  20. If any other group wish to bid they must complete paperwork, tell the councillors what the bid is for, how much they need and what they want to achieve.
  21. Oliver Richardson passed on a message of support for the QCHAP bid.
  22. It was believed that the History Society has not asked for enough money to cover costs of display boards and it was suggested to increase the amount requested.
  23. Roger spoke to the group about his bid, adding that the leaders are very important as they help children do adventure activities that they can’t do by themselves.
  24. Marie invited anyone to email her with specific questions about any of the bids.
  25. The Ward Councillors and Marie will meet to discuss the bids already received to decide which to support. Councillor Lynda Cromie added her belief that all the groups had been fair and she would encourage other bids, even things like money for day trips etc.
  26. Community Group UpdateAs Sue was absent, Marie read out an email she had sent. The auditions for Queensbury Performing Arts take place at AKA on Sunday 14th September between 2pm – 6pm. The group need people to take part as performers, singers, dancers, scenery design, building, etc. Sue has been actively advertising on Facebook but the group is currently struggling to attract many men. There is no age limit for those wishing to take part. The performance will be held 19th-21st March 2015 at Queensbury School.Joan gave an update on the 1940’s event. There will be a street party on Saturday 27th September from 11.30am. The road closure has been approved. There will be numerous activities including a live brass band and a cake stall. In total there will be 17 stalls. Tickets for the evening part of the event at the Conservative Club (6.00pm) will be available before hand or on the door at a cost of £5.Sue Shrine highlighted an exhibition by a local artist that will be held at Holy Trinity 13th – 27th September. It is free and opening times to view are 9.30am – 3.00pm Monday-Saturday; 12 noon – 5.00pm Sunday. Sue handed out flyers at the end of the meeting.Dave Dodwell mentioned the AGM for Cycle Queensbury, 8th October, 7.30pm at the Conservative Club. Free pie and peas will be available for those who attend. The past few months have seen a number of successful events held by the group, including training children and adults; volunteer led rides and campaigning for safer cycle routes.The scarecrow event was a great success; thanks were paid to the Council for assisting with event money. About 60 scarecrows formed this year’s trail. It is hoped that the event might be repeated again next year.
  27. Queensbury Community Heritage and Action PartnershipNorah provided a summary prior to the meeting on Thursday 11th September, 7.30pm at the Baptist Chapel.A subgroup met last week with Simon Moscrop to talk through a draft idea of making improvements to the High Street.
  28.       Work is still ongoing to re –open Queensbury tunnel.
  29. Police UpdateNone available
  30. Any Other BusinessThere has been a growing issue of older school children in and around younger children’s play areas, notably at Russell Hall Park and at the swing park behind the medical centre. The younger areas should be used by under 14 year olds Dave Elcock informed the group. The PCSO’s will be asked to keep an eye on the areas during their shifts.Action: Marie will ask the Youth service to add the areas to their outreach work.Roger Hyde informed the group that Black Dyke won the British Open at Birmingham on Saturday 6th September. Well done to Black Dyke.Alan Senior said that the rugby league will get under way on Saturday 20th September with 3 teams involved. Alan said that there has been no progress regarding the ‘fix the field’ money that has been raised. Action: Marie said she will contact Mick Priestley about the Rugby League Club Issues.A consultation regarding the proposals for the new swimming baths and sports facilities took place the previous Friday, residents reported that the time scale was too short and during the consultation session there were very simple questions could not be answered. Marie to feed this back.There has been some incidents of fighting outside the ‘Ring O Bells’ pub. Marie suggested that the matter be reported to the police. The number to ring is 101.
  31. A temporary events notice has been granted for George 3rd pub for the 1940’s day on Saturday 27th September. A DJ will also be playing music outside the pub.
  32. The Queensbury Ward Forum will be held at 6.45pm at Victoria Hall on Tuesday 30th September. About 1800 residents will be invited to attend and there will 3 groups of facilitators present at the forum. The 3 topics discussed will be environment; health and crime.
  33. She will also flag up with the Sergeant.
  34.  Date of Next MeetingThe next meeting will be held on Tuesday 14th October at 7.00pm at Holy Trinity Church.

There were no further issues raised, therefore Marie thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting at 8.40pm

 

 

 

 

Queensbury War Memorial Refurbishment – Cllr Lynda Cromie

Subject: Queensbury War Memorial

Good afternoon councillors, Dave Elcock was attending to request from a Queensbury ward member relating to the War Memorial in Queensbury.

As Dave is currently off work I am dealing with the matter on his behalf. I have contacted a specials contractor and agreed works to include degreasing and power washing the memorial paving and plaques and re-lettering the column and name plaques. The council’s builders will also re-point open joints in the paving.

Although the contractor plans to clean the memorial and start on the lettering to the column they have advised that the complete works i.e. the lettering to the name plaques is unlikely to be done before Remembrance Sunday.

I thought you would appreciate been advised of this information in advance, but pleased be assured that the works to re-letter the names will be carried out as soon as they are able to programme the works.

Kind Regards

David Cansfield

Area Parks Manager (Bradford West)

Sport & Leisure Services

Tel: 01274 431564.

Lister Park Depot, North Park Road, Bradford, BD9 4NR

City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council

Department of Environment & Sport

David,

That’s great.

Thank you.

Kind regards Paul n Lynda